Fri, Jan 22|
Climb Mountains, Move Mountains: Afghan Women Rising
Join us for this free event with Ascend! Come and hear how we plan to climb mountains and move mountains in 2021. Our team will join by video, live from Kabul! We'll also hear from Phil Powers, Soraya Sarhaddi Nelson, Emilie Drinkwater, and Marina LeGree.
Time & Location
Jan 22, 2021, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM MST
About The Event
As we start a new year, it is important to share stories of inspiration and opportunity for change.
We are pleased to invite you to a virtual event on January 22:
The mission: In Afghanistan, a country which ranks 153rd of total 189 countries in the UN Development Programme Gender Inequality Index, Ascend quite literally helps women climb to new heights to become leaders in their communities and gain access to opportunities. As the program grows, it is building a movement of girls and women who help and inspire one another. Alumnae have set up their own hiking groups, gained employment in gender equality and advocacy organizations, and taken prominent positions in local communities, with a large proportion opting to pursue higher education.
The Ascend program
During this fundraising event, we will share the Ascend story and update you on our ambitious goals to create a climbing center in Kabul. The evening's program includes:
- Phil Powers, member of Ascend's board of directors.
- Marina LeGree, Executive Director & founder of Ascend. See Marina and the girls in this short video on gratitude, Thanks to You.
- Soraya Sarhaddi Nelson, Pulitzer Prize winning journalist who opened the Kabul, Afghanistan bureau for NPR in 2006.
- Kaisa Markhus, Ascend Country Manager, Kabul
- Shogufa Bayat, Program Assistant, Kabul. See Shogufa’s passionate call for equality, Yeah, the Girls are also Strong
- Emilie Drinkwater, IFMGA Mountain Guide who led Ascend’s Hanifa to the top of Mount Noshaq, Afghanistan’s highest mountain in 2018. To whet your whistle, read about the first woman’s ascent of Mount Noshaq (24,580’), highest mountain in Afghanistan in Outside Magazine.
Hope you can make it and help to cheer on these brave and determined women.